Tuesday, January 16, 2007

C-Webb a Piston...

Detroit News Online Printer-friendly article page Can Webber measure up? Detroiter joins the Pistons in hopes of winning a title AUBURN HILLS -- Chris Webber confirmed Monday what Joe Dumars pretty much knew Jan. 4 -- the former Detroit Country Day and University of Michigan star wanted to come home and play for the Pistons. It was that night, as the Pistons were in the process of beating the Hornets, Dumars got a call from Aaron Goodwin, Webber's agent. "Joe, would you have any interest in Chris Webber?" Goodwin said. "Yeah," Dumars said, "except he plays for the Sixers." That's when Goodwin informed Dumars that Webber had reached a buyout agreement with the 76ers, and that Webber wanted to go to a contender, and he hoped the Pistons would be interested. At 2 today, Webber, after clearing waivers, will sign a prorated one-year, $1.17 million contract ($650,000) with the Pistons. "After careful thought and discussions with my family, I have decided I will sign with the Detroit Pistons," he said in a statement. "Joining the Pistons will allow me the opportunity to play the game I love in my hometown of Detroit, surrounded by my family. I look forward to joining a roster of talented athletes and working towards a fourth NBA title for the Pistons and the great city of Detroit." How much is left? Webber walked into The Palace with 2 minutes, 57 seconds left in the first quarter of Monday's 94-90 overtime loss to Minnesota and received a standing ovation. The Pistons players didn't acknowledge him at that moment but are equally excited. "I look at it like when we got Rasheed (Wallace in 2004)," Chauncey Billups said. "He knows he has a lot to prove. There's a lot of people that think he doesn't have any juice left in his tank. " I know he is hungry to win a championship." The plan is for Webber to start at center alongside Wallace. Pistons coach Flip Saunders said there was a chance Webber could be in uniform for Wednesday's home game against the Jazz. "No question Chris is someone we thought would be a good fit for our team because of how we play," Saunders said. "He has a high basketball IQ and has been one of the best passing big men in the NBA. The way we play, he is going to fit right in." But, how much does Webber have left in his 33-year-old body? In his 14th season, Webber played 18 games with the 76ers before agreeing to a buyout. He has been hampered by knee and ankle injuries the last two seasons. Before last season, he had microfracture surgery on his left knee. "I know he might be limited in his running and jumping, but not with his shooting, passing and low-post moves," Wallace said. Goodwin said Webber's left knee was about 95 percent healthy. And, from what he has seen on film, Pistons physical therapist Arnie Kander agrees. "I like a lot of what I have seen," he said. "I don't think (his knee) is an issue." In recent days, Kander has studied Webber on film dating to 1998. He said Webber's mobility issue has been because of a balky left ankle, which he believes is correctable. "It's very similar to Dyess (Antonio McDyess, who came to the Pistons after knee surgery in 2004)," Kander said. "It's not the knee; we have to correct the things around the knee. People fail to realize, he had a terrible ankle sprain in Sacramento and then six months later had microfracture surgery. "If you watch him run, he always lists to one side. He can't get over the right ankle so he comes down hard on the left knee." Help for 'Sheed If Kander can work some magic, the Pistons could be getting their center for the next couple of years. The Pistons will consider signing Webber beyond this season if things work out. "I ain't one to count my chickens before they hatch," Wallace said. "But I don't see nothing but positives." Wallace should be the biggest benefactor of a productive Webber. Wallace has struggled lately under the weight of having to provide most of the low-post muscle. "I know with him there, I will be seeing more man coverage," he said. "They are either going to have to double Chris or double me." Webber's presence likely will lead to another deal -- moving either Nazr Mohammed, who probably will be moved out of the rotation, Dale Davis or McDyess. The Pistons would be looking for another perimeter player in return. "If somebody would have told me in my career I was going to play with, on one team, Rasheed Wallace, McDyess, Chris Webber, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince -- I'd say, 'Maybe so, on an all-star team,' " Billups said. "But not every single night. It's unbelievable."

No comments: