Thursday, February 15, 2007

Former basketball star say the dumbest things

ESPN.com - Retired NBA star Hardaway says he hates 'gay people' Retired NBA star Hardaway says he hates 'gay people' ESPN.com news servicesFormer Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said on a radio show Wednesday afternoon that he would not want a gay player on his team. Hardaway "You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States." Hardaway was a guest of Miami Herald columnist Dan Le Betard on the Miami radio show Sports Talk 790 and was asked how he would deal with a gay teammate. When asked if he would accept an active player's coming out, such as that of retired NBA center John Amaechi, Hardaway replied: "First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. "And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right. And you know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that," he said. Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami. "Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake." Hardaway, who was in Las Vegas on Tuesday at a pre-All Star Game NBA Cares outreach event, was both a coach and player for the ABA's Florida Pit Bulls in 2006. Hardaway played for five NBA teams from 1990-2003 and was a five-time All-Star. He finished with averages of 17.7 points and 8.2 assists. siderbar: I guess ole Timmy Hardaway took himself out of the GLAAD person of the year award. As I black American I'm ashamed when some elements of the black community lash out against the gay community because of all people we blacks should know what it's like being singled out for what we are. Hell it wasn't that long ago when you had people in this country saying blacks shouldn't have civil rights, and other racist things. And Timmy you should think about the whole hating gay thing because you don't know who in your life your statement could hurt.

No comments: