Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gov.Jindal may reject stimulus money

Louisiana faces a possible $2 billion budget shortfall next year, and the state is being hit hard by unemployment. Yet Gov. Bobby Jindal (R), rumored to be a future presidential candidate, said this weekend that he may turn down the roughly $3.8 billion for the state in the economy recovery package, which is expected to create 50,000 jobs:

We’ll have to review each program, each new dollar to make sure that we understand what are the conditions, what are the strings and see whether it’s beneficial for Louisiana to use those dollars,” Jindal said.

Jindal seems to be taking an even harder line than his colleagues, such as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Gov. Mark Sanford (R-SC), who both may accept stimulus money while opposing the stimulus legislation. Jindal is scheduled to give the official GOP response to President Obama’s address next Tuesday.

MCL comment I agree with Paul Begala, these Republican governors states shouldn't get any support and when their state far further behind let the likes of Bobby Jindal explained why they chose not to support the stimulus for their states. Bobby Jindal is trying to position himself for 2012 by bow downing to the Newt and the extreme right of the republican and he's going to find himself being the younger clone of John McCain from 2008. Another tidbit on Bobby Jindal I don't see what's about him that makes the Republicans so excite.To me Bobby Jindal is the political equal to Darko, I watch the dude a couple of times and he's boring as hell. If you thought Jeb speaking style was bad Bobby could could put a corpse to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! A governor that actually wants to see what strings are attach to federal money before accepting it. I don't know, it sounds like common sense to me.

There are 35 other states with higher unemployment and considering what Louisiana has gone through in recent years, I think that's pretty good.

"Eysink says Louisiana is still not nearly as affected as other states in country, at least not yet."

I don't subscribe to any party, I prefer to look at individuals instead. Jindal is one of the better politicians out there and I have seriously been considering moving to Louisiana, but I'm still researching there laws and regulations. :)

Many years ago when I was in Jr. High one of my teachers told us that Louisiana was the only state that could literally be cut off from the rest of the united states and still make it on it's own. I just don't know if that's still true. :)