Friday, September 18, 2009

Rockefeller criticizes the ‘Gang of Six’: ‘You don’t do legislation that way.’

By Zaid Jilani

Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) appeared on the Charlie Rose Show last night to discuss his criticisms of Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus’ (D-MT) bill. He announced he will introduce at least 17 amendments to the Baucus proposal. “This is my chance, having not be a part of the Gang of Six,” to improve the legislation, he said. When asked if he was “thrilled” about the so-called “Gang of Six,” Rockefeller responded that he doesn’t think legislation should be done that way:

ROSE: You’re not thrilled by the Gang of Six, are you?

ROCKEFELLER: No I’m not. No I’m not. But that’s — I just don’t think you do legislation that way, and particularly if you end up not getting any of the three Republicans, and hopefully we will get Olympia Snowe.

Watch it:

Rockefeller said earlier this week that there is “no way” he can vote for the Baucus plan that emerged from the “Gang of Six” as it currently is written. “I want to get it right,” he said last night. “I want it to be a real improvement in health care.”

No comments: