Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Under Fire For "Hitler Youth" Comparison, Glenn Beck Vaguely Claims "Something" Has Been Taken "Out Of Context" To "Destroy" Him

by Kevin Zieber/Media Matters

Glenn Beck charged on his radio show Wednesday that the mainstream media is trying to destroy him by taking "something" that he said "out of context":
Beck refused to specify just what comments were being misrepresented, but he has been under abarrage of criticism this week after he compared a youth camp in Norway where scores of young people were massacred to the "Hitler youth." In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, Torbjørn Eriksen, former Press Secretary to Norway's prime minister, called the comment "a new low" and said, "Glenn Beck's comments are ignorant, incorrect and extremely hurtful."
It would be disingenuous to say that those comments included some kind of mitigating context:
BECK: So, Saturday, I was following the news of the shooting in Norway and the explosion in Norway, which happened, what, on Friday?
GRAY: Yeah. The explosion was - and then we left the air, and then he went to the camp.
BECK: Yeah. Well, when we heard the explosion everybody was willing to say, it's Muslim extremists; it's Muslim extremists. I don't think we made a comment on it, because we didn't know other than there was a bombing that happened. And as the thing started to unfold, and then there was a shooting at a political camp --  which sounds a little like the Hitler youth, or whatever. I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics? Disturbing.
But anyway, so there's this political camp, and some crazy man goes and starts shooting kids. I get up Saturday morning, and I write to Scott Baker at The Blaze and I said, I haven't seen this yet anywhere, and I can tell you exactly what's going on. Somebody just needs to follow the story. And what is going on is exactly what I said would happen. I warned that this would happen last fall.

No comments: