Monday, January 02, 2012

REPORT: The Republican Candidates’ Economic Agenda For The 1 Percent

By Josh Dorner/Think Progress

This Tuesday, Iowans will officially kick off the process to nominate the Republican candidate for president.  A close examination of all of the GOP candidates’ records and policy positions reveals that Mitt Romney is not the only candidate who “represents the one percent.” All of the Republican candidates share at least one thing in common: an economic agenda that will benefit the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans at the expense of the other 99 percent.
Each and every Republican candidate has called for trillions of dollars in new tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans and corporations — all while calling for ending Medicare as we know it and dramatic cuts to Social Security, Medicaid, and countless other programs and services that Americans depend on each day.
All of the candidates would take us back to the Bush-era policies that increased income inequality, resulted in the worst job growth in decadesexploded the deficit and national debt, and ultimately crashed the economy.  Indeed, the policies proposed by the candidates would not only embrace this failed economic agenda, they would take it even further.



Supports new tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans
Supports new tax cuts for corporations
Supports ending Medicare as we know it
Supports cuts to Social Security
Supports repealing Wall Street Reform Law (Dodd-Frank)
Opposes “Buffett Rule” to make sure millionaires pay at least the same tax rate as middle class workers
Opposes ending tax breaks for Big Oil
Perry: Grover Norquist Americans for Tax Reform pledge signer. Perry’s plan would merely eliminate energy subsidies as they come up for expiration — over a period as long as 20 years.  Most of the billions of dollars in annual tax subsidies for oil and gas companies — unlike those for clean energy, energy efficiency, and cleaner vehicles — are written permanently into the tax code (including some that have persisted for nearly a century). Eliminating these provisions would fall outside the scope of the Perry plan, as they would require an affirmative action to repeal and would thus violate the Grover Norquist ATR pledge.
Opposes ending tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas
Post a Comment