Monday, February 04, 2013

Tagg Romney Declines Senate Bid in Massachusetts

Why didn't they ask me?
Just look at me.

By SARAH WHEATON/New York Times
The possibility of a new Romney campaign was dashed on Monday evening when Mitt Romney’s oldest son, Tagg, announced that he would not pursue John Kerry’s now-vacant Senate seat in Massachusetts.
“The timing is not right for me,” Tagg Romney, 42, said in a statement, making him the latest high-profile Republican to decline a bid. On Friday, former Senator Scott P. Brown said he would not seek to return to the chamber.
Tagg Romney has not ruled out running for office at some point, but he said in October: “I’d be really surprised if I did. It’s a really horrible process, and honestly I just don’t want to go through it, and I don’t want to put my family through it.”
The younger Mr. Romney’s full statement:
I have been humbled by the outreach I received this weekend encouraging me to become a candidate for the U.S. Senate. I love my home state and admit it would be an honor to represent the citizens of our great Commonwealth. However, I am currently committed to my business and to spending as much time as I can with my wife and children. The timing is not right for me, but I am hopeful that the people of Massachusetts will select someone of great integrity, vision, and compassion as our next U.S. Senator.

No comments: